We at WSHA want to acknowledge International Infection Prevention Week (IIPW) and the hard work that so many have performed on a daily basis to keep health care workers, patients, and communities healthy. IIPW was established in 1986 to spotlight infection prevention each year. In light of the recent COVID-19 Pandemic, this year celebrates the bravery and tireless efforts of the world’s infection preventionists. The importance of those involved in this work on a daily basis has risen to new proportions. During the American College of Chest Physicians annual meeting, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases director Dr. Anthony Fauci, MD, recently said, “[We are] in the middle of an explosive pandemic of historic proportions, the likes of which we have not experienced in the last 102 years with over a million deaths worldwide and 38 million cases-and the end is not in sight.” Hospitals can celebrate infection preventionists for their continued bravery and expertise in the fight against COVID-19 in several ways, including:
- Highlight IIPW in your newsletter.
- Distribute free, pre-written infection prevention articles to staff and the public throughout the year.
- Share APIC’s COVID-19 factsheets with patients and families for information on how to prevent spread of COVID-19
- Share APIC’s vaccine-related infographics with staff and patients.
- Promote #IIPW on social media
- Email email@example.com with stories about infection prevention and control heroes.