The Health Care Authority (HCA) has opened the application period for distressed hospital grants authorized by the legislature in the 2023-2025 budget. WSHA advocated during the legislative session for the program to be continued for 2024. The application is open until July 15, 2023 for the first portion of the $8 million in grants available for fiscal year 2024. The Health Care Authority will notify hospitals of its decisions by July 31, 2023. To qualify, a hospital must be located in Washington, serve individuals enrolled in state and federal medical assistance programs, maintain a Medicaid population at similar utilization levels as in calendar year 2022, be necessary for an adequate provider network for the Medicaid program, demonstrate a plan for long-term financial sustainability, and also meet one of the following criteria:
- Lack adequate cash-on-hand to remain financially solvent; or
- Have experienced financial losses during hospital fiscal year 2022; or
- Be at risk of bankruptcy.
A completed application packet must consist of:
- Distressed hospital application;
- Most recently completed hospital cost report; and
- Written plan to return to financial solvency.
The grant application can be downloaded here and completed applications should be sent to Abby Cole at the Health Care Authority. HCA’s announcement with links can be viewed here. (Andrew Busz, email@example.com)