To: CEOs and Government Affairs Representatives
From: Cassie Sauer, Senior Vice President; Chelene Whiteaker, Policy Director; John Flink, OAHHS-WSHA Federal Lobbyist
Action Needed: Based on an impending vote early next week by the U.S. Senate to repeal and replace the flawed Medicare methodology for reimbursing physicians (SGR fix), we are writing to request that you contact your Senators by Monday morning, April 13, in support of the legislation.
When Congress reconvenes on April 13, the Senate will take a major vote on H.R. 2, which would permanently repeal and replace the Medicare Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) and extend funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program. The House of Representatives already voted 392-37 for H.R. 2 on March 26. If the Senate approves this measure, it will go to President Obama for his signature.
H.R. 2 is not perfect, but in addition to permanently replacing the flawed SGR, it rejects significant Medicare payment cuts to hospitals, including site neutral payment policies, and cuts to critical access hospitals, graduate medical education and bad debt payments. The American Hospital Association, WSHA, and the Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems have all endorsed this measure. Now we need your help to put this bill across the finish line. Details of the proposal are included here.
Please contact your federal Congressional delegation with the following key messages:
- Please support the SGR Repeal and Medicare Provider Payment Modernization Act – H.R. 2 when it comes to the Senate floor for a vote.
- This measure repeals the problematic Medicare Sustainable Growth Rate policy that has caused significant problems for physicians, hospitals, patients and Congress.
- We are very supportive of the approach taken that continues access to needed outpatient care for Medicare beneficiaries. The proposal before you minimizes cuts to hospitals that would have directly affected patient access to care.
- We are also very supportive of the extension of the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
Contact Your Senators Today!
- Colin Goldfinch, Medicare Advisor, email@example.com, 202-224-5375
- Nick Bath, Health Counsel, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-224-5375
- Nico Janssen, Health Care Aide, email@example.com, (202) 224-3441
- Pete Modaff, Legislative Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, (202) 224-3441
For questions, please contact Chelene Whiteaker at email@example.com or (206) 216-2545.