Spring 2017 Update: We are currently updating our approach to governance education– and our webpage about it!
What is governance education?
Governance education is about ensuring that hospital board members have the information and skills necessary to lead their organizations into the future.
Board members are crucial to setting the direction for health care in their community, and must understand many complex issues, including complex payment models, clinical quality, population health and emerging technologies. What’s more, they must also have the skills necessary to work collaboratively and make good decisions as a group.
Mostly, every hospital and health system has a plan for staying up to date on emerging issues. WSHA and the American Hospital Association also provide opportunities for boards to learn about big changes in health care.
Governance activities and events
Here are a few of the activities and events that WSHA and AWPHD provide to support hospital and health system boards:
- The Hospital Governing Boards Committee is a standing committee of the WSHA Board, responsible for guiding the association’s work to support and enhance hospital board effectiveness.
- May: The CEO & Trustee Patient Safety Summit is a one-day conference that allows boards and executives the opportunity to learn and discuss emerging challenges in patient safety.
- June: the Rural Hospital Leadership Conference in Chelan is a unique opportunity for boards and executives to build skills and learn more about what’s happening in rural health care.
- October: The Trustee Intensive is dedicated to building the skills and knowledge necessary for leadership and is held the day after the WSHA annual meeting.
There are many resources dedicated to hospital board members. Below are a few we hope you will find useful and informative.
- Critical Questions Every Board Member Needs to be Able to Answer (a guidebook for trustees)
- Association of Washington Public Hospital Districts
- AWPHD Commissioner Resources – For public hospital districts
- American Hospital Association Trustee Services
- Trustee Magazine – Articles of interest published by the Health Forum.
Hospital board members are also invited to stay up to date by subscribing to WSHA newsletters. For a listing of available newsletters and the free subscription form, visit our newsletter page.