- This event has passed.
DEI Discussion Roundtable – Comfort Equity, Leaning into Discomfort
September 13 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Hospital and healthcare professionals leading diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) activities are invited join the WSHA DEI Discussion Roundtable. This network of DEI healthcare professionals (including Health Equity Officers, DEI Directors/Coordinators/Managers, HEDI Committee Chairs, etc) meet to discuss strategies, promising practices, emerging requirements and to and receive peer support.
September Topic: Comfort Equity with subject matter expert Dr. Sandra Upton (blog article)
- Review the root causes of discomfort in discussing racial and identity issues;
- Recognize how discomfort shows up in DEI work and the pitfalls of conducting training that protects the comfort too much for the dominant group;
- Gain practical guidance on how to hold productive uncomfortable conversations with staff on DEI topics, when/how to “lean into discomfort” and move those conversations toward action and change;
- Understand how to be an ally for staff and patients experiencing bias in the healthcare system, including when/how to speak up and advocate for culture change
- Hear insights from Dr. Upton in response to shared hospital DEI leader experiences with comfort inequities.