Welcome to the first Quality Payment Program Update. Recent Medicare Access and CHIP legislation is fundamentally changing the healthcare payment process. For practices to make this transition, it’s important to understand the Quality Payment Program. Our team of experts is here to help. We’ll be sending out regular program updates, providing helpful tools and resources, and inviting you to learning events. We’re also available to answer any questions you may have.
First Things First: It’s important to know that there are two paths in the Quality Payment Program:
- Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS)
- Advanced Alternative Payment Models (Advanced APMs)
For the 2017 and 2018 MIPS performance periods, the following clinician types can participate in MIPS:
- Physicians, which includes doctors of medicine, doctors of osteopathy (including osteopathic practitioners), doctors of dental surgery, doctors of dental medicine, doctors of podiatric medicine, doctors of optometry, and chiropractors;
- Physician assistants (PAs);
- Nurse practitioners (NPs);
- Clinical nurse specialists;
- Certified registered nurse anesthetists; and
- Any clinician group that includes one of the professionals listed above.
Resources and Education
American Hospital Association. The AHA maintains a robust page of MACRA resources.
MIPS Minute YouTube Channel. A YouTube channel maintained by Qualis, featuring short informative videos.
The Washington State Hospital Association and the Washington State Medical Association have joined together to offer education programs to help hospitals, providers, leaders and administrative staff move to value-based reimbursement in MACRA.
CMS MACRA Final rule:
Final Rule – published October 14, 2016
For More Information:
- CMS: 866-288-8292 or QPP@cms.hhs.gov
- Quality Payment Program Website
- Qualis Health: 877-560-2618 or QPP-SURS@qualishealth.org