Do you have an actuarial or math background? Have you worked in the healthcare or health insurance data field? Are you a critical, innovative thinker who is knowledgeable about clinical data sets and file structures and layouts? Would you like to work with a group of dynamic, dedicated, passionate people who are committed to transforming healthcare in the state of Washington? If this sounds like something you would like to be part of, we want to talk to you about a career at WSHA – the Washington State Hospital Association.
WSHA has been in existence for over 80 years, and continues to grow and evolve as the needs of Washington Residents and our member hospitals change. We are committed to ensuring that all Washington residents have access to quality healthcare, that all children receive needed immunizations, and that best practices in healthcare and patient safety are shared. We are located in beautiful downtown Seattle, surrounded by wonderful views of Puget Sound and the Olympic mountains, with easy access to bus lines or underground parking, and we are currently recruiting for a Senior Data Analyst. Please note – you must be eligible to work in the US without restriction or sponsorship. Local candidates preferred.
The Senior Data Analyst position is a full-time position, and is responsible for performing complex healthcare data analysis and reporting in support of WSHA programs. This position will report to the Director of the Decision Support Department and will be expected to manage the entire reporting life cycle from conceptualization through presentation, including but not limited to leading measurement decisions, creating definitions, data collection, and analysis and interpretation of the data.
Specific duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Performing complex data analysis and reporting to support WSHA programs and member needs.
- Develop, prepare and present specialized reports and dashboards for dissemination to Association members with the purpose of advancing the work at the state, hospital, and unit level.
- Support Association executive leadership with data analysis and logistics.
- Identify opportunities for performance improvement through data analysis and address risks or potential issues that might impact Association members.
- Recommend innovative ideas, processes and/or procedures for enhancements, and modifications to improve existing systems.
- Conduct individual project reviews, as required, to assess overall project quality, efficiency and compliance with requirements.
- Analyze data and provide various reports for different scenarios to reflect solutions/recommendations in response to anticipated and unanticipated fluctuations for members.
- Interpret data analysis and develop related communication to provide multiple constituencies an understanding of the analysis.
- Support monthly data collection process, and continuously address and clarify data related inquiries as needed. Perform routine data validation and integrity checks with fully documented processes to ensure highly-reliable data accuracy.
- Develop new dashboards and visualizations to help communicate and clarify the data.
- Research new data sources and healthcare trends to continuously develop the Association’s reporting capacity.
- Develop appropriate methodologies for collecting, analyzing, and presenting data.
- Create educational materials and conduct training on understanding data, analysis, and definition of the measures one-on-one and in groups.
- Work with customers to develop and understand product specifications.
- Provide technical support, including troubleshooting with users.
Desired qualifications, skills, and abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
- A minimum of three to five years’ healthcare data analysis experience in a professional office setting required
- Demonstrated proficiency with a variety of computer based tools, information systems and data files, including using and creating file layouts, analyzing file structure, and transforming raw data into finished products.
- Strong analytical, conceptual and critical thinking skills required.
- Ability to use sound independent judgment, initiative and able to balance theory with practical reality required.
- Strong organizational skills, and detail orientation required.
- Excellent customer/member service skills and exceptional communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Proven ability to teach, manage, guide, and coach employees and others who are not direct reports.
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative, team environment or independently.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Proficient with MS office suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint and able to learn new systems as needed.
- Proficient with a variety of database applications (e.g. QL, MySQL, Oracle, Cloud Data Warehousing and Redshift on AWS); data analysis tools (e.g. SAS, SQL management Studio, R Studio); and reporting and visualization tools (e.g. SSRS, Tableau, QlikView and Alteryx) preferred.
How to apply
If you have the skills and abilities listed above, feel that you would be a good fit for this position and would like to be part of this exceptional organization, please apply to our career center at the link below for immediate consideration.
If the link does not work, please cut and paste into your browser for access to the career center. No calls please. WSHA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.